This section contains information on the following Quest Migration products:
- Quest Co-Existence Manager for Notes
- Quest GroupWise Migrator for Exchange
- Quest Notes Migrator for Exchange
Quest Co-Existence Manager for Notes
Quest have provided a very useful tool that provides a lot of the functionality within the Microsoft Transporter Suite, and then improves upon it.
The fact that Quest have released this product highlights the areas that are lacking in the Microsoft Transporter Suite. However, as a balance, it is worth noting that the Quest product costs money, whereas the Microsoft product is free.
Microsoft Transporter Suite can be used for a quick migration that does not require a rich co-existence period.
However, Quest Co-Existence Manager, used in conjunction with Quest Notes Migrator to Exchange, provides the following key migration benefits:
- DocLink hyperlink co-existence: preserve and manage workflow with intelligent DocLinks that reference the Notes applications, even if they have been migrated to Sharepoint. This allows for a seamless Notes application migration to take place over a period of time, overlapping with the email migration.
- Consistent Calendar Data: remove the inconsistencies within calendar/meeting information across a co-existence environment. Recurrence information is retained, as are attachments within invitations. Look and feel is maintained also.
- Embbeded Lotus Notes icons and objects are maintained on the Exchange side.
This product allows for the option of a prolonged migration period where co-existence is required. This involves extra licencing costs for the software, but the risks that come with a long migration are reduced, especially support costs of managing a user base across Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes.
Email migrations can be very complex, which will increase risk of issues that can affect the email service to the business. This product can help provide a more stable platform on which to run your migration.
Quest GroupWise Migrator for Exchange
This software has been around for a long time, and is considered by some to be the standard migration tool for this scenario. Commonly used in conjunction with the Quest Coexistence Manager for GroupWise – if the migration will take place over a period of time. Detailed documentation comes with the GroupWise Migrator software, along with a long list of customisable parameters. Quest keep this product up to date to support latest platform versions, and bug fixes. I have used this product many times and can recommend it.
Quest Notes Migrator for Exchange